Monday, November 4, 2013

New York City Marathon... its magical...

I know some people get excited about the Super Bowl... or the World Series... or March Madness (That's for my husband)

Me?  I don't care for any sport.  I will admit, I do watch Wimbledon some years - but ever since Chris Evert Lloyd retired, I've not watched too much... kidding - I'm not THAT old.  I mean, I am... but not really...moving on.

But Sunday morning, I was excited & rearing to go...

New York City Marathon!


& it was on TV this year!!!!

What other sport do you have to get up early to watch?  Other sports are later at night with parties & finger foods... not this one!  Its up early, with coffee & toast... add a little almond butter to carb up with the runners.

I got up early, pulled up twitter & Instagram & saw all my Blog/IG/Twitter friends posting pictures & updates of their trip to the start line...

I get so excited just reading & seeing the pictures of it.  I live vicariously through them.

Even on Good Morning America, they covered 2 people & their personal stories on the race they were running.  I don't care who you are, I get teary eyed every time I hear stories of why people run.  I am your instant cheerleader!


Then the opening with John McEnroe... it was pretty awesome.  I've been trying to find it on YouTube... where you should be able to find everything... BUT that opening of the race.  I did find some Marathon tip commercials he's done though - pretty funny.





I don't know what makes it exciting to watch people run, but I love it. 
I sit with my jaw dropped at the speed.... how they look like they do it effortlessly... how it really becomes a race (women's winner passed for the lead right at the last 4 miles... really?  Intense stuff!)
I love the running commercials... I love seeing all the different corral's races start & all the cheering arms going over the start line.

Yes, I'll stand in my kitchen, watching on TV & clap my hands for them... every person crossing that start line ....I'll admit it... they had someone yelling "You are awesome"

happy clap

There's just something about a race... watching people do something for no other reason then just to run & finish... knowing they are having a battle only with themselves to do this trek of 26.2 miles...

I just wish there was a link to watch ALL the finishers cross... its always those last people in the 'back of the pack' - (my peeps) - that really gets me...

I saw on ABC Nightly News, one of the young men they profiled earlier in the morning that has Autism, he had just finished at 6 pm... in the dark... with only lights shining on the finish line.. with his dad by his side...
It's THOSE stories that really hit me...

Its the whole thing... its the pro athletes that inspire me... its the people that run with heart that move me...

Its just magical...

I didn't run it... but I felt the energy in my own home in the southern part of Indiana...
Only magic can do that...

It's Magic
Does a Magical Doug Henning 'knock off'  make me sound old here too?

__________________

They kept playing this song during the broadcast... it may be one of my new favorite pre-race songs!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I am thankful for each comment & like to respond to every one of them....
If you noticed I do not respond to your comments, it is because you are a "no reply" blogger and I am unable too!
How to enable your e-mail: BLOGGER ACCOUNTS: To do this, click on your Dashboard, click on EDIT PROFILE and place a check mark next to SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS, and finally scroll to the bottom and click SAVE PROFILE.**